- -1 cup of your favorite rice.
- -1 15ish-ounce can of coconut milk
Cuban Black Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped. (I did minced (Sorry Eliza!!))
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth (optional)
Cook the rice according to the package directions, substituting coconut milk for 1 cup of water.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.
We served with tortillas, per Eliza's suggestion. Thanks Eliza!!