Friday, March 19, 2010

Chocolate Cake...from scratch!

1. I heard a guy on Oprah that was, I think, the author of Food Inc., or at least he was talking about it or something....I only halfway watch Oprah these days, anyway, he was a Health Nut, and talking about how poorly Americans eat these days and he said something I LOOOOVED. He said, that he lets himself have all the junk food he wants, as long as it is made from scratch!!
So, that got my attention. He said, if you want fries, have fries...but cook them yourself. You will find since it is more work, you will do it less often, and maybe only have fries once a month. Well...whatever, but I liked the idea.

2. I am a chocolate addict. When I had to go Dairy Free for a year, I was dying for some recipes that would still give me that chocolate fix without the milk. And, now, I present to you my dairy free chocolate cake. It is by far the BEST Chocolate Cake I've ever had. Moist and delicioso.

It's kind of my own invention b/c I had to tweak it to make it Dairy Free. If you don't want Dairy Free, I'll tell you how you can add some milk, but you must promise you'll try the dairy free version, because it is still that good.

Dairy Free Chocolate Cake

1 Cup Milk substitute (I used rice milk)
1 Tbsp. Vinegar (side note: the original recipe calls for buttermilk. You can use milk and 1 tbsp. vinegar as a sub for buttermilk. However, I just used rice milk instead)
1 Cup Water
2/3 Cup Cooking Oil
2 Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Cups all purpose flour
3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 13x9 pan. Combine Rice Milk, Vinegar, Water, Oil, sugar, Eggs, baking Soda and Salt. Using a large wire whisk, whisk until well combined. Add flour and cocoa powder; whisk until smooth. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center bounces back when lightly touched. DO NOT OVERCOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment